Every year Bali always has something to show to the tourist. Besides all the religion unique ritual ceremony Bali has annual fun thing to do, it is Bali Kite Festival. This festival will be held between July and august or sometime through October, and you will see hundreds of competing kite troupes gather around to pilot their traditional kites. This festival is very unique, every year it has a thousand visitor watch it.
In daily life of Balinese, kite is the most favorite things to do by the children around the rice field, According to Hinduism the meaning of flying kite is dedicated to Rare Anggon. Rare Anggon is a Hindu’s protector God of rice fields in Bali from the dangers of plant hopper and bird pests
During the festival and the competition there will be a gamelan orchestra who will plays music throughout the festival. When the competition was began people will show up their various kite, sometime they are with their modern kite or traditional kite which it different shape and sizes. Not only locals competitor, this event attract the international kite fliers too. Bali has the The traditional kites, such as the ‘janggan’, it gigantic kite with impressive flowing ribbon tails. it has 4 meters wide 10 meters of length and it has an amazing ribbon tail 10 meters long or more
The second traditional of Bali kite is ‘bebean’, this type is the most common design with a traditional outline of a fish. When the date of this event will coming you will see so many gigantic kite drawing the sky.
This festival has so many categories to win. They are ‘best launch’ ‘best design’ and ‘longest flight’. The big bali kites festival will be held in Padanggalak Beach, Sanur. You will see the effort the group of ‘banjar’ trying to make their gigantic kite fly. Also, you will see so many various kite, sometime it will be like a Hindu’s God a car, motorbike or the 3D kite too. If you love kites, and are a fan of the outdoors, then the Bali Kite Festival is perfect for you.
If you missed the main opening festival, don to be worry~
Bali Kites Association or Pelangi (Persatuan Layang-Layang Indonesia, Bali chapter) share the side event for you.
*Dates may shift following favourable weather conditions.
Main Event: Bali Kite Festival: 3-5 July, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Pitik Kite Festival: 1-2 July, Pedungan, Denpasar
- Dangin Peken Dhananjaya Cup Kite Festival: 22-23 July, Mertasari Beach, Sanur
- Belega Kite Competition: 18-20 September, Belega, Gianyar
- Pelangi Gianyar Kite Competition: 31 July – 2 August (or 8-9 August), Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Sanur Kite Competition (Sanur Village Festival): 3-6 (or 28-30) August, Mertasari Beach, Sanur
- Denpasar Kite Competition: 7-9 August, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Biaung Kite Competition: 12-13 (or 14-15) August, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Banjar Banjaran Kite Competition: 17 August, Abiansemal, Badung
- Klungkung Kite Competition: 17 August, Klungkung
- Pelangi Denpasar Kite Competition: 19-20 August, Denpasar
- Tanjung Kite Competition: 21-23 (or 26-27) August, Sanur
- Pelangi Badung Kite Competition: 2-3 September, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Penatih Kite Competition: 4-6 September, Penatih, Denpasar
- Pelangi Tabanan Kite Competition: 9-10 (or 18-20) September, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Peliatan Kite Competition: 9-10 September, Peliatan, Ubud
- Ungasan Kite Competition: 11-13 September, Ungasan, Bukit Peninsula
- Namaste Kite Club Kite Competition: 16-17 September, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Ganeca Kite Competition: 23-24 September, Tabanan
- Bekul Kite Competition: 30 September – 1 October (or 2-4 October), Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- Rockiller Kite Festival: 7-8 October, Padanggalak Beach, Sanur
- LPM Kuta Kite Competition: 14-15 October, Kuta
- Kukuh Kite Competition: 16-18 October, Marga, Tabanan
- Batuyang Kite Competition: 21-22 October, Ubud
- Bali International Kite Festival 2017: 23-25 (or 28-29 October), Padanggalak Beach, Sanur