Before travelling to Bali, there are so many things that you have to prepare. I believe you already have searched and browsed about Bali, how to withdraw money in Bali safely, and maybe you found something that makes you worry, like ATM skimming in Bali. We know it make you a little bit nervous, but it is not impossible to carry cash when you are travelling around. But don’t worry, read these tips to keep you from being scammed, here we go with our advices !
- Use ATM machine inside the Bank, there is a security 24/24 and CCTV cameras so you are completely safe to withdraw your money. If you can’t find the Bank, you can do it in supermarket, avoid use ATM machine on roadside.
- Observe your surroundings before using an ATM. If the machine is obstructed from view or poorly lit, visit another ATM.
- Cover the screen and keyboard so anyone waiting to use the ATM cannot see you enter your PIN or transaction amount.
- Strange person, if you see anyone or anything suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave immediately. If anyone follows you after making a transaction, go to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- Use your common sense, if the ATM looks dodgy, it probably is – so don’t use it. Skimmers use a couple of tools to obtain card details. Even the big banks get targeted by skimmers when the ATM is isolated enough. A sleeve which captures the card details as its inserted into the ATM slot, and a camera used to look at the PIN being entered
- Don’t believe people easily, if there is problem with the ATM machine, and there is people coming to help and ask your PIN, believe me, you better leave that place!
- Don’t leave your car unlocked and engine running while you get out to ATM.
- When use drive through ATM, locked your car properly.
- Plan your withdrawals time ahead a time, it is true that there are so many ATM 24 hours in Bali, but it wise if you plan it and not going to ATM so often.
- Close the door of ATM machine, avoid stranger people who follow you inside
- Put your cash and your card immediately on your wallet, you can count in safe place later, and always keep your receipt.
- Money first, be aware that often machines will hand out the money first before returning your card. Make sure you do not walk away without taking your card!
If you find something weird like this, you better move!!